Bangalore, August 30, 2020: B S Yediyurappa, Chief Minister of Karnataka and Suresh C. Angadi, Minister of State of Railways today flagged off the first ever RORO service of South Western Railway from Nelamangla (near Bengaluru) to Bale (near Solapur).
Speaking on the occasion, Yediyurappa said, “Our Prime Minister Narendra Modi is emphasizing on multimodal connectivity. APMC Markets in the region offer tremendous scope for RORO.”
He congratulated Suresh C. Angadi for taking a lead in the initiative and assured full cooperation from the State Government.
Suresh C. Angadi said, “Thousands of trucks plying between Bengaluru and Solapur will be able to use the RORO service, in which the travel time will be just 17 hours. This trial run got delayed due to COVID. Kisan Rail has started to help the farmers agricultural produce to be transported across the country.”
He congratulated the customers of today’s RORO service for the initiative.
He also congratulated theRailway staff for doing mammoth work.
Roll On Roll Off (RORO) is a concept of carrying road vehicles loaded with various commodities on open flat railway wagons.
The PM, in his recent Independence day speech, had envisaged multimodal connectivity to take India to the next level of development.
RORO services are combination of best features of road and rail transport in the sense that they offer door to door service with minimal handling as transportation is by fast and direct rail link .
Road transport has advantage of door to door delivery of goods. However, increasing traffic on roads is leading to congestion and delays to passenger vehicles, which causes unsafe travel conditions.
Also, delays at interstate check posts due to inspection of various documents, etc. contribute to increased travel time.
On the other hand, Railways provide hassle free and environmentally friendly transport to medium to large quantum of freight.
Rail transport is a fuel efficient means of transport and much safer than road.
Advantages of RO-RO
RO-RO train services were first introduced in Indian Railways on Konkan Railways in 1999 and are running successfully since then. Roll-on-Roll-off is a multimodal delivery model with the following advantages
* Faster movement of goods and essentials, reducing time taken by trucks to reach destination
* Reduces congestion on roads
* Saves precious fuel, ereduces carbon footprint
* Relief to crew of truck as it avoids long distance driving
* No hassles of check posts/toll gates
* Seamless Inter-operability between roadways and railways
* Ensures uninterrupted supply of essential commodities
* Free time for loading/unloading is 3 hours
* Ro-RO is a reckoning force in “Vocal for Local”:
– Will boost our local MSME units by encouraging piecemeal /decentralized loading through trucks.
– RO-RO will help government initiatives like “operation green” to stabalize prices of TOP (Tomato, Potato and Onion)
– Provides a link between agriculture producing regions and agro consumption centres
– Ensures farmers get the right market and right price for their produce
– Connects and balances the commodity deficient and surplus markets
In the lockdown announced to control the spread of Covid-19 in the country, the RO-RO model came to the rescue of many transporters.